[yast-devel] Webyast: REST error response
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:44:57 +0200
Hi,
I look what is possible to use to report errors on our rest-service. I
find summary there
http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2003/12/restful_error_handling.html and
improvement here
http://www.dalouche.com/wordpress/2009/04/25/error-handling-in-rest-applications-best-practices/.
For our purpose I think that the best sollution is to use our own error
code which is not used, ( i that one which begin 4** is good) and in
body specify type of error, needed data for generate report (like which
permission mission and for which user) and english error description.
This error description should not use frontend, as it must match type
and print localized error description.

So what I plan to do:
- Defined exceptions in backend which modules should throw in case of errors
- Add exceptions to webservice method where it is appropriate (like
check_permission should not return anything, just throw exception
because user already should check its permission)
- Add rescue_from to application controller to automatic generate proper
response code and body
- Add error handler to webclient - ideal is throw exception which is
catch by rescue_from and this exception contain response from which
generate localized error page) For this I suggest little refactoring of
resource loader, at least I try make it less dynamic to easier enhance it.

Welcome any comments and suggestion. Now I create branch for it and try
start which some ideas, so it doesn't break any code until it is ready.

--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team