Re: [yast-devel] Webyast session with consultant
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett" <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:08:49 +0200
On Tuesday 25 August 2009 15:18:42 Josef Reidinger wrote:
For REST we should look how is designed cloudkit (
http://getcloudkit.com/ and

I fully agree with this part, which has little to do with CloudKit more than
being a good example of functionality designed using rack middlewares

By mastering Rack middlewares one can plug stuff like caching, logging etc
really easily in the application without dealing with plugins, generators etc.

CloudKit was quite original in implementing openId, oauth and even a dynamic
RESTful storage layer as a Rack Middleware so you can do something like

config.use.middleware 'CloudKit::Service', :collections => [:notes, :todos]

and that middleware is inserted before your app
(ActionController::Dispatcher.new , also a Rack component) is run. So if you
request the url /notes, then the CloudKit middleware takes over and simulates
an existing resource by using a schema free json storage.

Having such a design bring great possibilities, however I would like more
concrete advice on where to take advantage of it. Resource discovery is a good
candidate, and I am researching whether serving assets from plugins may be
possible.

(good read on the topic http://www.slideshare.net/LittleBIGRuby/rack-
middleware-1416040 )

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Engineering Manager, YaST