[yast-devel] Webyast session with consultant
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:18:42 +0200
Hi,
I bring notes from today's session with consultant.
We look at test-driven development. Usual presentation which can be also
find on net, so nothing especially interesting. We try shoulda gem,
which is quite good for reporting problems (test reports looks better).
I ask also how to move our 2.2 generated rails to 2.3. Karel says that
rails from 2.2 have templates which can generate code better (really
good for business convence, so we should create some template for
webyast plugins) and maybe exist some template to convert generated
application. I google it and write result.
Second think which we learn is how to work routes. especially
interesting methods for rest is method resources and resource (and
parameters only and except). Also we look how REST work. What Karel find
strange is that we have default route, which often lead to unintended
routes and behavior. Second what he think is that we should use route
for each plugin as each plugin should define its routes which it provides.
For REST we should look how is designed cloudkit (
http://getcloudkit.com/ and
http://www.bestechvideos.com/2009/06/04/pivotal-labs-talks-cloudkit-hacking-the-open-stack-with-ruby-and-rack
). Rest tutorial is at http://www.infoq.com/articles/rest-anti-patterns
and http://www.infoq.com/articles/rest-introduction
We also talk about our webclient and what we should improve. We should
have webclient also rest. Especially we should operate easy on hosts.
Karel propose have sub-resources. So url should look like
/hosts/1/systemtime for setting systemtime on first host. Also we give
another hints how to change our dynamic creating ActiveResource to
normal classes and have in each plugin usual model, which should contain
a lot of functionality and can be easily tested. (So we should have
something like YaSTController as ancestor and YaSTResource as model
ancestor).
Welcome any another ideas which I forget mention.

--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team