Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST: Vendor customization
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:31:27 +0200
* Jiří Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx> [Aug 13. 2009 14:50]:
Hi!

There's already a feature present, it is https://fate.novell.com/307388:

Citing from feature description: "Ideally, there should only be a single
config dir (or file ?) covering all vendor customization.
All customization (the config file, branding images, web style css file(s),
etc.) should be contained in a single -branding package."

As I'm looking into services module, which should offer Start/Stop
options to vendor specific services (fate 306696), I also need some way
to provide vendor specific data. Here, the data are: the list of
services to show (a must) and optionally custom descriptions and paths
to start/stop scripts to such services.

No, not quite. Fate 306696 explicitly talks about a _single_ (vendor
specific) service.

Multiple services should be covered by /etc/init.d (resp. xinetd) and
don't need a separate config file.

So far, I'm using yml file (after Klaus' recommendation) as it is easy to
parse and human readable. See attached examples: one is for list of maps
(slightly better readable I assume), the second for map of maps (faster
access). The file is currently expected under /etc/YaST2 directory.

Technically, config file is parsed from YaPI which is called from
rest-service, so it is not bound to webYaST usage and theoretically could be
used together with YaPI from perl scripts.

Ruby provides nice support for yaml files, so there's no need to
involve YaPI here.

Comments, ideas?

I have one to the feature description above: I'd rather vote for more config
files (under same directory) over just one-for-all, as it needs to be parsed
for each YaPI call.

Yes, multiple config files under a single directory make sense.

But in this case, there's no need to have a toplevel 'services:' key
in the yaml file.

Klaus

---