Re: [yast-devel] WebYast - UI testing (status report)
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:49:33 +0200
josef reidinger napsal(a):
Ladislav Slezak napsal(a):
[...]
Hi, It is required to use ruby for testing web applications?
When I at school play with web testing tools I find that there is few
problems with it.

Why we should not write tests in Ruby when we use Ruby for the application?

First one is testing AJAX reactions, when some tools doesn't survive
java script (or some type of java script) on page ( often throw exception).
Second one is that sometime this tools needs some manual tuning to be
enough robust to test after design changes ( like unnecessary parent id
of tag ).

Both systems (Watir and Selenium) use browser plugins, they use real browsers
for
testing. The plugins are used just to control the browser, they only send button
clicks etc. to browsers. They acts as a proxy to browser. Javascripts are
interpreted
by browsers, AJAX should work without problems.

Third one is that sometime act different from browser and that make hard
to create regression tests for specific browser (like if we support
opera and that interpret something different then firefox).

The same applies here, Watir and Selenium use real browsers, SeleniumRC
component can
control and use multiple browsers in parallel for testing (see
http://seleniumhq.org/docs/05_selenium_rc.html )

Because it is hard to find good web testing tool maybe we should try
also tools that doesn't create ruby testing code.

With Ruby code we can easily automate testing, no need to start an extra browser
plugin and manually replay all tests...

Today I'll check Selenium framework and I'll post the results here...

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k
Yast Developer