[yast-devel] WebYast - UI testing (status report)
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:19:08 +0200
Hi all,

here is my report about UI testing of web applications.

I checked two possible testing systems - Watir and Selenium.

(Note: I haven't tested Selenium fully yet, this document just describes the
current
status, I'll continue the next week.)

Watir
=====

Homepage: http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Project+Home
Installation: http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/FireWatir+Installation

Properties
----------

Tests are completely written in Ruby, objects on web page are represented by
Ruby
objects, e.g.

button = browser.button(:value, "Click Here")

My results
----------

It doesn't work for me :-(

Following script

require 'rubygems'
require 'watir'
browser = Watir::Browser.new

correctly opens a new Firefox window, but it prints this error:
Watir::Exception::UnableToStartJSShException: Unable to connect to machine :
127.0.0.1 on port 9997. Make sure that JSSh is properly installed and Firefox is
running with '-jssh' option

Running Firefox manually with -jssh option didn't help. Maybe the JSSh plugin
doesn't
work correctly in Firefox 3.5 ??

Note
----

It seems to be rather IE oriented, documentation contains IE related code and
some
features (fortunately minor) are missing in Firefox, see
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Firewatir+Compatibility

Selenium
========

Homepage: http://seleniumhq.org/
Installation: http://seleniumhq.org/download/

Properties
----------

The tests can be created in an IDE (Firefox plugin) which records user actions
in the
browser and saves them into a testcase. You don't have bother about finding HTML
element names on the page to create a test case.

Test cases can be later loaded and replayed. You only need to add result
checking
commands to them.

The most important thing is that it is possible to export a test case as a Ruby
test
script which uses SeleniumRC component.

My results

The plugin recorded/replayed my simple action in the browser correctly, I
haven't
tested yet the SeleniumRC component with Ruby, I'll continue the next week...

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k
Yast Developer