Re: [yast-devel] Re: [devel] Heavy changes due to upcoming PDB migration
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:34:08 +0100
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 03:38:21PM +0100, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:18:59PM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:

We have described the current use cases of the PDB, which we plan to
continue
to support in future on this wiki page:

https://wiki.innerweb.novell.com/index.php/Build_Service/PDB_Migration#Use_Cases

"Authors handling

We had a mechanism to add Authors in a standarized formated way
in the descriptions. Since these data is mostly out of data in
PDB, we decided to drop this feature. We recommend to maintain
the upstream project URL better in future to replace this."

For YaST packages we don't have project URLs. AFAIS we will lose
the authors data. Any ideas?

I wouldn't like to be disrespectful by disregarding proper
acknowledgement of contributors, but still I have never really seen
the point of this feature. I think generally it is enough to mention
the people in the documentation or in the source. (Or in the About
dialog, but we don't have any.)

Also, my feeling is that this piece of PDB data gets easily
forgotten and outdated.

Consequently, I don't mind losing the data, but we could make some
checks first, like filtering out the usual suspects (YaST team
members) and seeing who is left to be pointed out in the docs.

Apart from that, this could be a good impulse for giving each module
its own web page, AKA upstream URL.
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner