Re: [yast-devel] Some thoughts on the SCR D-Bus service
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:35:24 +0100
Klaus Kaempf wrote:
Hi,

after having learned about D-Bus in general and the YaST SCR_service
in particular, I'd like to share my thoughts on what I saw.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

1. service name vs. path name
[...]
Note the use of upper case for YaST which matches other service names
on the system bus (org.freedesktop.Avahi, org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit,
org.freedesktop.Hal)

I agree, "org.opensuse.YaST" is better.

2. path names
[...]
Combined with 1. above, the YaST service would offer objects like
/org/opensuse/YaST/SCR, /org/opensuse/YaST/WFM,
/org/opensuse/YaST/YCP. (Alternatively, /org/opensuse/YaST/scr
might get better acceptance upstream)

I'll adapt it to this upstream convention. BTW is there any reason for that?

3. path name vs. method arguments
[...]
Currently, the first parameter to the SCR functions (Read, Execute, ...)
is a YCPPath. This should be merged with the D-Bus object path.

The problem is that the service would have to recursively find all available
objects
during introspection. That could take long time and IIRC not all agents return
proper
Dir() results.

Currently I'm working on exporting a Yast namespace on DBus, this approach
would need
to handle the SCR namespace in a different way than others. I'd like to avoid
that.

On the other hand there could be additional SCR objects with such interface.

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k
Yast Developer