Re: [yast-devel] Table popups
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:13:32 +0100
Hi,

http://mvidner.blogspot.com/2009/01/yast-ui-table-usability.html

Yes, somebody (I believe it was mhopf) already proposed that for
partitioner - a small pop-up activated with right mouse click (for
ncurses, by some key-combination e.g. Ctrl-$some_key), making functions
of buttons under the table accesible also in this way.

Please avoid one more special case stuff where somewhere
is only described what one should do.

I think you misunderstood me, Ricardo and the original blogpost as well. It is
about usability and better accesibility of table functions for the users, not
for the developer. As it can be seen on the example in Martin's blog (and it
is not the one and only feedback of this kind), users might get confused
with the fact that table actions (performed on the table items) are accesible
only as push buttons below the table.

What users are used to from other GUI applications and what they miss in YaST
UI is:
a) context menu activated by right click on table item (e.g. edit/delete this
item)
b) more function key bindings (e.g. 'Delete' key will do the same what would
pushing delete button do) - we already have bunch of those in ncurses,
unfortunately they're not usable in GUIs

frozzZZzzenB.
--
\\\\\ Katarina Machalkova
\\\\\\\__o YaST developer