Re: [yast-devel] use ALog::Item
  • From: Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 13:58:30 +0200
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 05:53:58PM +0200, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 05:41:49PM +0200, Martin Vidner wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 04:57:13PM +0200, Michael Andres wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, Martin Vidner wrote:
ALog::Item("/etc/ntp.conf: added 'server ntp.example.org'")
ALog::Item("enabled /etd/init.d/ntp")
ALog::Item("started /etd/init.d/ntp")

ALog::CommitPopup()
will lead to ALog::Note("set up ntp from local server")

Isn't this what the loglevel 6 (E_USR) was intended for? An absract of
changes done to the system which is also loged into a separate file.

Yes.

The basic requirement is simple: better logging. Naturally the
design is simple too: a function for the better logging. (I put it
into a namespace to make room for its brother, a commit message from
the admin.) E_USR and analogically y2user(fmt, ...) seems to imply
the constraints shared by the other logging functions: the same log
file, the same format...

Log file and format should be possible to change.

The problem with ALog::Item is that it doesn't understand %1
syntax. Always using sformat is clumsy.

Also ALog::Item is not accessible from C++ (in case anybody needs
that). Access from libstorage seems idealistic since libstorage
uses limal/blocxx stuff for logging.

Since I now have a related feature (#305159) I had a look at the
feature requests (#100386 and #303700). If logging is really
required on such a detailed level then the logging has to be done
in libstorage (C++) since the YCP code doesn't have that detailed
knowledge.

Callbacks would be another possibility. But I suppose logging is
also required when libstorage is used by other programs so
callbacks would only move the problem to those programs.

Have a nice weekend
Arvin