Re: [yast-devel] use ALog::Item
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:20:53 +0200
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 05:53:58PM +0200, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 05:41:49PM +0200, Martin Vidner wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 04:57:13PM +0200, Michael Andres wrote:
Isn't this what the loglevel 6 (E_USR) was intended for? An absract of
changes done to the system which is also loged into a separate file.

Yes.
The basic requirement is simple: better logging. Naturally the
design is simple too: a function for the better logging. (I put it
into a namespace to make room for its brother, a commit message from
the admin.) E_USR and analogically y2user(fmt, ...) seems to imply
the constraints shared by the other logging functions: the same log
file, the same format...

Log file and format should be possible to change.

I'm not sure what you mean. During the design or at runtime?

The problem with ALog::Item is that it doesn't understand %1
syntax. Always using sformat is clumsy.

Right. It seems I will have to improve core to make it possible.

Also ALog::Item is not accessible from C++ (in case anybody needs
that). Access from libstorage seems idealistic since libstorage
uses limal/blocxx stuff for logging.

With some work, both should be possible. What other C++ users aside
from libstorage would we have? Remember ALog as a YCP module is just
a prototype.

--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner