Re: [yast-devel] YaST Workshop 2008
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:58:17 +0200
Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
Well, yes. But I don't see a problem in the form in which the documentation is available (web page, Wiki or PDF - who really cares?), but in the stuff that _is_ documented. The last time I was seriously searching some documtation I found that ~70% of all documentation is the UI documentation that I once wrote, while other aspects are still largely undocumented (YCP built-ins or SCR comes to mind).

YCP builtins are documented and would have useful examples if anybody cared when writing them:

http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/tdg/Book-YaSTReference.html

SCR Agents are documented quite well (yes, developers don't comment their code and don't write correct headers for agents, that should be better too):

http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/scr/index.html

but we should have better (more useful) documentation for SCR in general:

http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/onefile/yast-onefile.html#the_scr_conf_repo
http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/tdg/id_big_architecture.html#the_scr_conf_repo

http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/onefile/yast-onefile.html#Book-SCRDetails
http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/tdg/Book-SCRDetails.html

There are at least two ways how to define importance of a document. The first measurable value is "the length", the second one is "amount of information" inside.

Who, for instance, reads the AutoYaST documentation?
http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/autoinstall/index.html
http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/autoinstall/devel/index.html
These are useful pieces of information that YaST developers should know...

Lukas