Re: [yast-devel] YaST Workshop 2008
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:26:19 +0200
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 03:29:24PM +0200, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
But is that something we can fix in a couple of days worth of workshop?

What about just starting it? If you don't have a better project, pick this
one :) At least, developers should know that and how they should document
their code, their API.

@see Source Code Documentation HowTo
http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/tdg/Book-Documentation.html

Moreover, I saw a lot of "Hey, the current documentation is boring, I have
a brand-new idea how to make it much better with a little effort"s ... but
what was the result? ENOTIME? Documentation? Who cares?
I also saw some requirements from external developers to download a PDF
version of our documentation in the past so they actually really care.
I could search yast-devel or some internal mailing-list where I are asked
developers to document their code and how (for instance SCR docu), but that
will not be necessary, I guess.

Documentation is vitally important if we want to port YaST to other
distributions (*HINT!*).

My pet issue with the documentation is its structuring. With a
proper one, one could neatly divide it into packages, have pieces of
it drop in...
Here is a prototype:
http://www.suse.de/~mvidner/refdoc-prototype/

--