Re: [yast-devel] LD_PRELOAD doesn't work for processes running as root any more
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:28:03 -0400
* Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> [06-06-08 06:49]:
Am Freitag 06 Juni 2008 schrieb Stefan Hundhammer:
JFYI - this might affect us, too, at least for debugging or testing.

If there was an announcement anywhere else, I missed it. I read this just
by accident on [opensuse]:

No idea what they're smoking:
http://<factory>/suse/i586/checkinstall-1.6.1-72.i586.rpm

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:55:27 +0200
From: Philipp Thomas <philipp.thomas2@xxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Compiling the Suse way

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:02:09 -0500, Jim Flanagan wrote:

This method uses configure > make > checkinstall (instead of
make > install).

Checkinstall has been dropped from openSUSE because it doesn't work
anymore.

Checkinstall's trick is to load a library via LD_PRELOAD that
redirects all functions dealing with files. Now for installing a
package you need to be root and for programs running with root
privileges the dynamic loader ignores LD_PRELOAD as this would
otherwise be a huge security problem.

So checkinstall has become useless and was therefore dropped.

Philipp