Re: [yast-devel] extra-packages
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:56:12 +0100
Klaus Kaempf napsal(a):
* Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> [Mar 19. 2008 14:57]:
I.e. with "weak dependency" you actually only mean "Recommends"
but not "Suggests"?

I think "Recommends" is often too strong and "Suggests" is often
better.

'Suggests' is never evaluated by the dependency solver. Its purely for
consumption by the package management application (i.e. yast or
zypper) to present a list to the user like Amazons 'Customers Who
Bought This Item Also Bought'.

'Recommends' is probably the right choice if you want to ensure a
'reasonable' set of packages installed on a typical system.

'Recommends' fits only in case a minimal system will not select them by
default. In this case 'Suggests' sound better because we actually don't
need (and typically don't want) to have these packages installed by default.

We actually don't need to have them evaluated by the dependency solver
as they haven't been evaluated so far.

That's also why we install them in the runtime ... otherwise we could
simply require them. Which is not what we want.

Lukas