Re: [yast-devel] Integrating online-update related modules
  • From: "J. Daniel Schmidt" <jdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:42:46 +0100
On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Katarina Machalkova wrote:
I'd be for merging those two but "Online update" should stay alone
(maximally there could be an option to run "Online update
configuration" and/or "Automatic online update" from there).

What about re-using lslezak's trick for running repository manager
from package manager and add 'Configure automatic online update' and
'Online update configuration' as menu options to patch manager
(online_update)? (while keeping them as standalone module with two
tabs, of course)

I like the idea of combining these modules.
At least I've got a fate request related to this fate#303359 .
For this I will have to change the registration anyway - so this is a
good chance to merge these.

Btw, I'd be strongly for renaming the latter to 'Register | configure
update repository' because 'Online update configuration' is so
generic term that it doesn't really tell one what to expect of this
module ...

I agree that the current name is quiet generic. But we once decided to
use titles as captions and to get rid of actions and descriptions in
captions.
"Manage Software" : action
"Software Management" : title

And "Register | configure update repository" is an action as well.

So lets find a good alternative.

Btw2, isn't now (as feature #302990 is being implemented - adding
update repositories from repository manager) 'Online update
configuration' aka 'Register | configure update repository' a little
bit redundant?

Yes it is - a little :)
But otherwise you would have to go for "Software Repositories" to
configure something for the online update.
I think the big main tasks should have their entry in the control
center. But if there are two sounding very much like the same task,
they can most likely be merged.

And if we implement fate#302990 and fate#303359 the redundance will
decrease further. Then repository handling is handeled in "Software
repositories" and any configuration stuff reated to online updates is
done in "Online Update Configuration" (or in the renamed module, if we
find a fitting title for it). If the latter finds that there is no
update source yet it will of course still be able to fetch one, but
this will be an exceptional case then.

Ciao,
Daniel

--