Re: [yast-devel] Getting Rid of 2nd Stage Installation
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:07:35 +0100
There are two sides to this.

On one hand, getting rid of that second stage of installation makes the
installation appear (!) shorter. And yes, of course we should set up
automatically everything we can, but I have strong doubts if it's a good idea
to not let the user change those settings - this is what the proposals are
all about (figure out a good automatic setting, but let the user change it if
he wishes).

On the other hand, most of the things that can be configured in that second
stage make sense to be configured at that point. What that second stage does
is remind the user of all that stuff that makes sense to be configured.

That's a whole lot simpler than going through the control center (which is
increasingly cluttered with entries of minor importance).

So if we remove that second stage, we might make some journalists happy who
write reviews about the installation process and some very few power users
who know by heart what's left to configure.

But what about the rest of all users, which I estimate to be ~90%?
Do we really make life easier for them if we leave much of the system
unconfigured? Will they be happy about not being able to print when they need
to just because it never occured to them to configure a printer?

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> Penguin by conviction.
YaST2 Development