Re: [yast-devel] Tiny URL for "People were very unhappy because I only wrote..."
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:09:42 +0100
Marco Michna napsal(a):
Guten Abend,

Am Mittwoch, 5. März 2008 16:55:09 schrieb Lukas Ocilka:

I've just created a new Tiny URL for
http://en.opensuse.org/Bug_Reporting_FAQ#

People were very unhappy because I only wrote "see subject" in the
Bugzilla bug description - but my subject really explains it all! Isn't
it pure nitpicking to insist on bug reporters repeating that in the
description field?

It is http://tinyurl.com/24zvkc
I wish if it only was something easier to remember! :)

And why did I do that?
Well, I don't think that the long URL makes anybody happy :) and we use
it quite often in bugzilla :) ;)

And thats the wrong approach!

It's no worse than this:
http://en.opensuse.org/Bug_Reporting_FAQ#People_were_very_unhappy_because_I_only_wrote_.22see_subject.22_in_the_Bugzilla_bug_description_-_but_my_subject_really_explains_it_all.21_Isn.27t_it_pure_nitpicking_to_insist_on_bug_reporters_repeating_that_in_the_description_field.3F

Most of the people do not like to "click" on a URL which does not tell what
is
behind it. Even if you say that this
is "http://en.opensuse.org/Bug_Reporting_FAQ#"; they will refuse to use it if
you give them the tinyurl address.

Yes, we should fix wiki to provide some more useful link. Possible?

In my opinion it would be the best way to give the full address
to "inexperienced" users.

The full URL makes people angry and if you get bugzilla mail with it, it
might be cut on (each) 80 characters. That is not useful for
inexperienced users.

L.