Re: [yast-devel] Why YAST is too VAST
  • From: "Benji Weber" <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:40:53 +0000
On 13/02/2008, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Klaus Kaempf wrote:
"Then, either integrate all the KDE Control Center
desktop/theme/artwork elements into YAST or - my preferred option -
lose the Control Center duplicates from YAST... but don't have both!
YAST is excellent for handling hardware but by overloading it with all
these other functions, its developers have created a monster. YAST has
become too VAST (Very Awkward Setup Tool)."

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=376

---

That guys doesn't do a difference between user preferences and system
management tasks.

The complaints are only about the organisation of the control-centre,
which I believe is being redesigned anyway. I do agree with some of
his points, it is important to consider how easily a user will find
how to accomplish a configuration task from the empty desktop. If one
only considers how easy it is to navigate y2controlcentre and users
don't think to look in yast control centre in the first place then it
doesn't matter how usable yast2 control centre is.

This might mean exposing yast modules in places like the application
launcher or system settings in addition to yast2-control-centre. Some
modules are more like applications (kiwi) and most are settings
configuration.

None of kcontrol tasks require root. A user can live without yast, but
not without kcontrol, the opposite is false.

Some of the kcm modules do require root. The font-installer, kdm
configuration, time change... In any case I would dispute that users
are easily able to determine where a configuration option will be
located based upon the privileges required to edit it.

--
Benjamin Weber