Re: [opensuse-ux] Re: [yast-devel] printer module redesign
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:37:57 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 5 21:29 Rajko M. wrote (shortened):
On Tuesday 05 February 2008 02:21:28 am Lukas Ocilka wrote:
I'm afraid that there are more than just two people :) I also rather do
like more in one dialog than four tabs.

I know there is more, but someone has to say that :-)

Having both local queues and remote queues in one single overview
and have them nevertheless strictly separated is the fundamental
"message" which must be made obvious to the user because this tells
him in one single overview what the printing stuff is all about.

Mix up local queues and remote queues in one list might look better
on the first glance for those who don't know what the printing stuff
is all about but it doesn't help them to deal with it.
It does even confuse them because they will not be made aware
of the crucial distinction between local queues and remote queues
and what one can do with each of them.

Provide local queues and remote queues on two different screens
(e.g. via two tabs or whatever the usability experts like)
might look better on the first glance for those who don't know
what the printing stuff is all about but it makes it harder
for them to deal with it.
When only the local queues are shown by default it is no longer
obvious when there exist already remote queues which are ready
to be used for printing in the network.
Users might then start to set up local queues when they like
to print in the network but the [Add] button is the wrong way
for printing in the network with CUPS.

By the way:

The word "printer" becomes meaningless when "queue" is not used.
When "printer" can mean both the device and its queue, the meaning
of "printer" is degenerated to "thingy regarding printing".
This does not provide real information so that it is meaningless.

It does not mean that we must use "queue" in the dialogs.
But it does mean that we can no longer use "printer"
when we mean the device.

Therefore we should use strictly "device" when we talk about
the piece of hardware and we can use "printer" or "configuration"
or whatever else fits - except "device" - when we mean the queue.

The wording "printer" for queue and "device" for the hardware
is even consistent with the wording in CUPS.

As a small exercise think about the differences regarding
the meaning behind the following terms:
- local queue for a directly connected device
- local queue for a local device
- local queue for a remote device
- remote queue for a directly connected device
- remote queue for a local device
- remote queue for a remote device

... Johannes has some ideas that IMHO are more promissing, than currently
discussed UI design. Look at one of threads "printer module". The text
included in line with buttons can explain what buttons can't.

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ux/2007-05/msg00075.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ux/2007-05/msg00087.html

Unfortunately any further discussion is futile because
descriptive texts for buttons was already rejected.
Instead we have exhaustive discussions about button names...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex