[yast-devel] better framework for module interaction?
  • From: Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:14:26 +0100

feature #302961: Integrated Software Management Application, which means
basically integrate the repository editor with the package management
application makes me think we are missing something in the YaST framework
which I saw recently in the Android platform.

Android separates each view in an activity. Each Activy chains with others (to
generate a workflow) by generating Intents, and Activities can filter and
respond to Intents too. (http://code.google.com/android/intro/anatomy.html)

The idea is, if you wrte an application, and you need to edit a contact, or to
select an geo-address. Your application don't care how you do it. It is not
hardcoded. The activity generates an intent of "edit contact", or "select
point in earth" and other activities will be launched, which of course
registered ther capabilities. This allow the workflows to perform the tasks
by selecting 1) the best 2) the user prefered, component to do the job.

I think YaST is in the need of something similar, where modules could launch
sub activities without knowing much about them. At least this would solve
problems like integrating launching other modules from a module, and also
would allow modules to be easily replaced and avoid all the hardcoding. What
do you think?

Duncan