Re: [yast-devel] libyui throwing exceptions
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:52:24 +0100
* Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> [Jan 08. 2008 13:32]:
Well, it's no more crashing than the other way. Just read what I just wrote
about that "No dialog existing" popup. The application is dead in either
case.

Can we put a bit more information into the 'No dialog existing' popup ?
Currently this message seems pretty useless to me.

Whats wrong with defining a return value (and actually checking it ;-)) for
OpenDialog() (and similar functions currently raising exceptions) ?

Have you EVER seen any piece of code that actually checks the return values
for any of those calls? Look through our code. There are no such checks.

Then we should change this.

And even if there were, what would you expect to happen?

Logging it and exiting with a proper, defined return code. To be
picked up by the control center and reported in a user readable way.

Did you never see that "xmessage" window that no user likes (because it's
always bad news)?

What's wrong with reporting bad news if there is no way around it ?

Klaus