[yast-devel] Unification of Fxx keys usage
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:02:54 +0100
Hi,

as the new version of yast2-ncurses that finally contains status line support
has been submitted to abuild today, I'd like to ask you, yast hackers and
module maintainers, for a favour. This request would be much more useful as a
chapter in yast style guide, but as we have no styleguide, I'm using this
e-mail channel.

It would be really useful if the function keys for particular actions were
more or less constant and did not change from module to module. So please
check your modules if at least the following Fxx keys are assigned to these
actions (i.e. do not assign them to any other action)

F1- Help
F3 - Add
F4 - Edit/Configure/Change
F5 - Delete
F8 - Back
F9 - Abort/Cancel
F10 - Next/Finish/Accept/OK

Ncurses navigation help also mentions F2 - Info, F6 - Test,
F7 -Expert/Advanced, but this would be imho pretty tight requirements, so try
to stick to the ones listed above and use the remaining function keys as you
wish.

Some cases where these rules are currently broken:

include/printer/dialogs-cups.ycp: F4 assigned to 'Delete' (use F5)
clients/ldap_browser.ycp: F5 assigned to 'Reload' (use e.g. F6)
include/bootloader/routines/dialogs_i386.ycp: F8 assigned to 'Cancel' (use
F9)

Thanks for keeping ncurses UI well-usable :)

B.