Re: [yast-devel] yast2-ncurses has a status line :)
  • From: Jiří Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:00:30 +0100
On st 19. prosince 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Mittwoch 19 Dezember 2007 schrieb Katarina Machalkova:
BTW: Is it possible to remove the help window on the left on user
behalf? Maybe pressing Fx toggles just the help window on the left,
regardless in which YaST module the user is.

This (mostly useless) help window always disturbed me in the ncurses
user interface since a Terminal has clearly less text space than a Qt
GUI. (No, I don't belong to the group of people that use fullscreen
terminals.)

I always wanted to remove the help window from ncurses UI since it only
uselessly takes too much space :) But 'We need help texts to be visible
at all times, poor user gets lost otherwise' people just shouted much
louder than those who'd like to have it visible only when user requests
it.

See this (quite heated) discussion:
http://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel/2007-06/msg00132.html

Hmm, I see only Rebecca saying, help is required (which is true, but she
argues against self explaining dialogs not about having help inline) and
Stefan, who I kind of convinced already in saying that I will argue with
the people coming wanting to have it back. Seeing the list archive though I
see more people wanting to get rid of it :)

I really don't like the (now very common) rule of deciding what do users want
after asking them on mailing list. Most users, who are content or even happy
with current status just don't react on such mails and do not write bug
reports.

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

Lihovarská 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 960