Re: [yast-devel] yast2-ncurses has a status line :)
  • From: Bernhard Walle <bwalle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:41:15 +0100
* Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx> [2007-12-19 10:12]:
BTW: Is it possible to remove the help window on the left on user
behalf? Maybe pressing Fx toggles just the help window on the left,
regardless in which YaST module the user is.

This (mostly useless) help window always disturbed me in the ncurses
user interface since a Terminal has clearly less text space than a Qt
GUI. (No, I don't belong to the group of people that use fullscreen
terminals.)

I always wanted to remove the help window from ncurses UI since it only
uselessly takes too much space :) But 'We need help texts to be visible at
all times, poor user gets lost otherwise' people just shouted much louder
than those who'd like to have it visible only when user requests it.

Well, during installation, that might be ok since ncurses is also used
if X doesn't come up on poorly supported hardware. I also had this,
and configuring X afterwards was no problem then (SUSE 9.3).

But *after* installation, ncurses is only used by people who know what
they do. DAUs use Qt or Gtk. So for me, that argument is just silly.

Thanks,
Bernhard