[yast-devel] RPM Dependencies in General (...and How to Fix Them)
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:56:08 +0100
Dear developers,

==About==
Most of you have probably already ran into problems with
binary-incompatible YCP modules after updating to newer yast2-core. It
happens when new core is changed internally and it's caused by wrong RPM
dependencies in yast2-* packages.

==Solution in yast2.rpm==
Only yast2.rpm contained
Requires: yast2-core
but even that definition hadn't been enough. By now, yast2.spec.in contains:
Requires: yast2-core >= %(echo `rpm -q --queryformat '%{VERSION}'
yast2-core`)
(suggested by Coolo)

==Solution for All YaST RPMs==
Nowadays, all (?) YaST packages require yast2.rpm but only some of them
define a version they rely on.

To fix the problem with binary-incompatibility, we could adjust all YaST
RPMs to either
Require the last yast2-core.rpm
(or Conflict older than the current one)
or
Require the last yast2.rpm

Hard to say what is better:
/sbin/yast2 is owned by yast2-rpm (how we usually start a YaST module)
/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base is owned by yast2-core

Side note: This does not affect YaST RPMs that don't contain any YCP
modules (YCP scripts are compiled on the fly -- no binary incompatibility).

==Conclusion==
I'd vote for requiring the last (and newer) yast2.rpm bu I'd like to
hear from you what do *you* think of that. Please, let me know.

Thx && Bye
Lukas

--

Lukas Ocilka, YaST Developer (xn--luk-gla45d)
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o., Lihovarska 1060/12, Praha 9, Czech Republic