[yast-devel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Accessible installer
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:21:29 +0100
Let's move to yast-devel.

Dňa Wednesday 28 November 2007 04:23:55 Hans Petter Jansson ste napísal:
The GNOME team set up a wiki page for 11.0 ideas. One of the requests is
for accessibility options to be available in the YaST installer, in
particular:

* Screen magnifier - shows a magnified version of the portion of the
screen you're pointing at.

* Screen reader - reads the labels and input text out loud.

* Braille output - provides tactile display of labels and input text via
a special device.

In GNOME, we use Orca to accomplish this, together with the at-spi
infrastructure. It is a Python app. I don't know what Qt/KDE uses, but I
imagine something similar.

So I have some questions for the YaST/installer guys:

* What accessibility technologies are available in the installer today,
and how are they configured?

AFAIK, we have support for visually impaired people:
- linuxrc can be run in linemode to allow screen readers
- yast2 ncurses interface has high contrast color scheme available
- there is support for braille peripherials

* If we're missing accessibility functionality, how feasible would it be
to implement it for 11.0?

Depends on the technology. One constraint I see right away is the size of of
inst-sys, we would need to do some magic there to keep it reasonably sized.

First, we would need to know exactly what we want to support. The 3 points
above?

Stano

* Given that the installer is a Qt app, what technologies could we use?

Also see

http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Ideas/11.0#Accessibility