Re: [yast-devel] Wt and Yast
  • From: "Wim Dumon" <wdumon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:03:48 +0100
On Nov 26, 2007 3:24 PM, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 26 November 2007 11:49:05 Wim Dumon wrote:
Hello Duncan and others,

<snip>
Could you provide us with some insights about your architecture and
how you integrate Wt? We may be able to help you out so that Wt and
Yast become good friends (e.g. by implementing something similar to
QSocketNotifier?)

For me QSocketNotifier was the missing part, as Qt offers a way to react to a
socket event while still integrating the event loop.

Working on it - we will let you know when it is in CVS.

Also, is there a way in Witty to get into and out of the event loop?

What do you mean with that?

Anyway, in case of getting further, we still faced some basic design problems,
like the UI having to run as root, unless we used fcgi, for which there too
many missing pieces in YaST (authentication?)

I don't know why you would have to run a Wt process as root... It's
probably not an issue to let Wt listen to a port >= 1024 (possibly
using apache to forward connecitons from port 80 to the Wt process) -
the rest depends on the Yast architecture. And yes, it is wise to
implement some form of authentication, but the user interface part in
Wt should be straight-forward.

From a user perspective, the way I would envision using a yast web
GUI, is by having a (non-root) daemon spawned from init.d, thus at
boot time. Then, instead of logging in to the server (authenticating
through ssh) and starting yast, I surf to the web page, authenticate
there and "start" yast.

This assumes that your main() routine only starts whttpd, and in your
'create application' callback function, after authentication, you are
at the same level as a Qt application. Remind that in Qt you have to
call app->exec(), whereas in Wt you need to return a WApplication from
the this callback function - by returning this WApplication object,
you have created a new instantiation of the application. I can imagine
that this is the main point of conflict with your current architecture?

However, in this way, you don't need to spawn special threads for
getting the Wt event loop going, and you can structure your
application further as you do a Qt application (given that we add
WSocketNotifier), since you are already running inside Wt's event loop?

Regards,
Wim.