Re: [yast-devel] ITO project proposal #1: Web user interface
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:33:16 +0100
Hi!

I've spent cca 3 days trying to get Wt 2.0.5 working with YaST and failed. The
reasons are not completely clear to me, but we have faced threading problems
that seems to be related to Wt or asio library beneath Wt.

In the end, I did stripped down example having a y2base process just trying to
start the Wt Hello, world example as a single thing and even that did not
work, giving random memory corruptions.

I do not believe it is a worth way to use Wt for another YaST UI
implementation. The threading model is so different and rather hostile
against YaST that fixing this would need a serious refactoring of the inner
working of the liby2 and libyui. And that means I did not even get to the
biggest problem - the layout handling.

2 approaches we might consider for the Web UI:
- providing the UI api, not involving libui at all
- providing a new UI api, basically rewrite the UI for Web from scratch.

Stano

Dňa Tuesday 06 November 2007 12:26:07 Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett ste napísal:
ITO time proposal
YaST Web UI, Approach: Wt

Why:
- there is already a prototype from Stano
- nobody has come wth a better approach?
- It is C++
- It is similar to Qt
- It offers AJAX
- widget-centric (avoid the web indiscipline and mess)
- integration with (existing) C++ libraries
- Provides plain widgets, which work regardless of JavaScript availability
(but benefit from JavaScript availability), and Wt::Ext widgets (based on
http://extjs.com)
- built in web server
- no need to rewrite yast modules, only to "rework" them

http://www.webtoolkit.eu/ (package available on home:dmacvicar in OBS)

Current problems:
- semantic: when is yast running? daemon? listening? only one session? how
many users?
- threading problems
- completness (implement widgets)

Goal:
- solve the semantic issues
- to be able to login and use very basic functionality of any module

Time: proposal 4 days (too much too less?)
When to start? Proposal Nov 12
Who takes care of the pizza?