Re: [yast-devel] SCR usage statistics.
  • From: Ralf Haferkamp <rhafer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:29:15 +0100
On Freitag, 16. November 2007, Jiri Srain wrote:
Dne Thursday 15 of November 2007 18:35:23 Klaus Kaempf napsal(a):
[..]
Thats what I'm trying to find out and get more input from developers.

The current thinking is to implement a completely different approach
while keeping the current SCR in place and migrate modules one-by-one.

This is something which we already tried with LiMaL. The actual result is
that we have two "standard" ways to access system.

If we decide for any new approach, we should decide for an existing
standard. With the requirement for code reuse, CIM seems to me to be the
way to go provided we get reasonably over the coding overhead.

One of LiMaL's original goals was to make it a layer below CIM, and other
higher level management tools (YaST/SCR). Maybe you can think of it as a
convenience library to ease the creation of CIM providers while additionally
allowing to manage the (local) system without CIM. (Ok, it probably failed
with that. For whatever reasons ;))
But IMO using CIM everywhere will create a huge overhead on a local system.

--
just my €0.02,
Ralf