Re: [yast-devel] Building UI libs vs. zypp vs. dev. environment (Was: how to mark *.ybc file outdated?)
  • From: Jiri Srain <jsrain@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:44:25 +0200
Dne Wednesday 24 of October 2007 18:41:11 Katarina Machalkova napsal(a):
Ahoj!

I'm afraid I can't start mailing concise requests for improvement of y2
development environment.

Reading through your mails, you are very well able to describe
whats wrong and what must be improved.

So speak up and raise the topic ! Thats what yast-devel,
yast-internal, team meeting minutes, weekly reports and FATE are for.

So I'm speaking up and rising the topic :) This time it has nothing to do
with .ybc files, but with UI libs and zypp (and no, it's not about app
layer at all ;-) )

The problem:
* To test a bugfix, I need to build yast2-ncurses.

To test the fix locally, do you need to build whole yast2-ncurses? The package
selector is already a separate library (from different reasons), you can
compile only the other stuff quite easily, or?

(from some reasons, unlike qt, NCPkgTable.* still reside in the src directory
of the NCurses UI, isn't it a bug of the split?)

(this does not intend to be a universal answer for all building issues, just
for this particular one)

Jiri

* To build y2-ncurses, I need libzypp headers (happen to lose them somehow
during numerous upgrades)
* Tried libzypp svn checkout and then cmake & make, but oh my ... it wants
to download tons of satsolver cr ... I mean, data ;-)
* Trying to skip this by going directly into libzypp/zypp subdir, it
complains about missing libsatsolver-devel
* OK, trying to compile sat-solver stuff - no success, I miss some rpmdb
stuff * I'm giving up and going to have a joint ;-)

Had I done 'rpm -ivh --force libzypp-devel.rpm' (force, because otherwise I
would need libzypp.rpm as well and would never get out of rpm dependency
hell) at the very beginning, I'd save at least half an hour of time and
quite a lot of nerves

But that's not a system solution. After all, I'm fixin' just an error in
UI, what the heck do I need sat-solver for? So, either I'm doing something
wrong or something is rotten in the state of Denmark ...

Would splitting yast2-ncurses (as well as yast2-qt) package into pure UI
part and package-management part and building those two separately help?
Would some 'install header files from this subdir only' tool in libzypp
makefiles help? I don't know
Anyway, I'm speaking up and raising the topic :)

frozenB.

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain
YaST Team Leader
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o. e-mail: jsrain@xxxxxxx
Lihovarska 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 959
190 00 Praha 9 fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic http://www.suse.cz