Re: [yast-devel] Handle GUI and text-mode differently - yast ncurses survey
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:33:30 +0200
Ahoj!

For the most part, you could just have two interface constructors and
re-use the logic. YCP is already an appropriate language for this I
would think, so just have printer-ui-main-text.ycp and -graphical.ycp,
and you wrap it into a nice modular library.

I guess, we'd very much liked to avoid having two .ycp files describing UI for
every module. Maintaining n different instances of the code doing the same
job is simply PITA (as you can well see it on the example of 3 different UIs
for package manager - but that does not belong to this thread :-) )

But possibly as more and more complex GUI features emerge, at some point we
will be unable to provide suitable alternatives for TUI. Then we will have to
decide, taking into account different needs of different users, and making
maintenance as feasible for us as possible.

However, does anyone have any example of some complex GUI feature users often
ask for and really want to have? I might have overlooked that, or I might be
just professionally deformed by maintaining text-mode UI, but I haven't seen
any particular example so far.
All I've seen were statements such as 'users want YaST to be more cool & sexy'
which is (at least for me) very vague description of the problem

frozenB.
--
\\\\\ Katarina Machalkova
\\\\\\\__o YaST developer