Mailinglist Archive: vhostmd (42 mails)

< Previous Next >
Version 0.3 (was: Re: [vhostmd] Making releases?)
  • From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:10:07 +0100
It turns out that gitorious has the ability to turn branches
into downloadable tarballs, and so (as an experiment) I created
version 0.3 here:

http://gitorious.org/vhostmd/vhostmd/commits/0.3

The download link is:

http://gitorious.org/vhostmd/vhostmd/archive-tarball/0.3

which I've added to the wiki page.

Using gitorious branches as releases is bad for two reasons though:

(1) Branches aren't static and reproducible.

(2) The generated tarball is strange:

$ zcat vhostmd-vhostmd-0.3.tar.gz | tar xvf -
vhostmd-vhostmd/
vhostmd-vhostmd/.gitignore
vhostmd-vhostmd/AUTHORS
vhostmd-vhostmd/COPYING
vhostmd-vhostmd/ChangeLog
vhostmd-vhostmd/INSTALL
vhostmd-vhostmd/Makefile.am
[...]

(3) Rather than a direct dump of git, we want the output of the
autotools 'make dist' command.

Looks like something to revisit in a future version. Anyway, version
0.3 is released!

Rich.