Re: [radeonhd] Xorg.0.log messages and misc. resolution issues
  • From: "David Morgado" <dcrmorgado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:46:33 +0000
Hi, I got some answers for some of your questions, check the mailing
list archive, this thread in particular
http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2007-11/msg00090.html.

On Nov 28, 2007 1:29 AM, Nolan Check <nolancheck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My system: ATI Radeon X1900 XT, Kubuntu 7.10 x86-64, Intel D975XBX
motherboard. I'm using the latest xf86-video-radeonhd as of November 27th,
2007 at 4:50 pm. Attached is /var/log/Xorg.0.log from my system. A few
concerns:

1. Line 481

(II) RADEONHD(0): The detected amount of videoram exceeds the PCI BAR
aperture.
(II) RADEONHD(0): Using only 262144kB of the total 524288kB.
(--) RADEONHD(0): VideoRAM: 262144 kByte

Why is it using only half of my video ram? Is it a problem in radeonhd, the
kernel, or the BIOS? I've seen this message with all versions of radeonhd.

2. Line 815

(II) RADEONHD(0): Using -28385 scanlines of offscreen memory

I suspect there's some signed-unsigned confusion here.

3. Line 818

(II) RADEONHD(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled
message.
(II) RADEONHD(0): Using HW cursor
(--) RandR disabled

What is the status of RandR support? Is it supposed to work with the version
of X.Org included in Kubuntu? I thought there were X.Org bugs that had to
be fixed.
I shudder to think what's going on with the "RandR disabled" thing.

4. Line 873

Starting here, it parses EDID from my monitor. Then it does it again and
again. Each time, I see lots of "Not using default mode" messages. It's the
first time I've seen radeonhd do this. The last version I used was 0.0.2
(don't remember exactly). What's going on?

radeonhd works perfectly fine otherwise. This is the only real major issue
I've seen:
The KDE monitor & display settings dialog only gives me two resolution
choices: 640x480 and 800x600. I set it to 1680x1050 by editing the
configuration file by hand.

That's all. Thanks a lot for writing this driver!