Re: [radeonhd] PowerColor X1950 Pro 512MB AGP
  • From: Luc Verhaegen <libv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:13:13 +0100
On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 06:30:09PM +0000, David Morgado wrote:
Hi, it has been a while since I wrote here because everything has been
working for me.
I'm always using this driver since I found it far more stable (never
crashed on me) than fglrx (always crashes).

But I have a few questions:

1- My card has 512Mb of VRAM and it appears that radeonhd detects it
correctly, but is not using all of it, is it?

(II) RADEONHD(0): Framebuffer space used by Firmware (kb): 20
(II) RADEONHD(0): Start of VRAM area used by Firmware: 0x1fffb000
(II) RADEONHD(0): The detected amount of videoram exceeds the PCI BAR
aperture.
(II) RADEONHD(0): Using only 262144kB of the total 524288kB.
(--) RADEONHD(0): VideoRAM: 262144 kByte

I have AGP aperture set in bios to 256MB and it is it's maximum I can't
set it any higher. :(

This is only used for the scanout buffer at the moment anyway. The
hardware only supports 8k*8k anyway, do you really want 8192x8192 as a
virtual resolution? And do you really want to use a bigger one with
current window managers?

Them I get this:

(II) RADEONHD(0): Framebuffer space used by Firmware (kb): 20
(II) RADEONHD(0): Start of VRAM area used by Firmware: 0x1fffb000
(II) RADEONHD(0): AtomBIOS requests 20kB of VRAM scratch space
(II) RADEONHD(0): AtomBIOS VRAM scratch base: 0x1fffb000
(WW) RADEONHD(0): rhdAtomAllocateFbScratch: FW FB scratch area 536850432
(size:
20480) extends beyond available framebuffer size 268435456
(II) RADEONHD(0): Cannot get VRAM scratch space. Allocating in main
memory inste
ad

Now not only it is not using 256MB of video memory but it is going after
main memory?

This is for running atombios code in. Nothing problematic, thereƂ's
currently no reason for it to run in the video ram, it can use main ram
just as nicely for the functions we use.

I can't make heads and tails about this warnings and info messages could
someone please explain what is going on?

I sent the details on this card a while back and I'm still getting this
"Unknown card detected", is this to be expected? I added this card once
to rhd_id.c just to get the fancy name on Xorg.log, would you like me to
send a patch or something?

This is something we cannot spend our time on right now. We probably
will reduce the severity of that message instead.

One more thing, excellent work on this driver, mode setting appears to
be almost complete no? If it is any ETA on starting 2D acceleration work?

First we need to finish what we are doing and make sure that everybodies
issues are dealt with. We don't do anything halfarsedly.

Also, modesetting is far from complete, as our RandR1.2 support is one
big workaround. Matthias has done a great job writing this
compatibility layer, and fixing all those upstream bugs, but this is
only a temporary solution. We will end up providing a solid, proper and
general solution.

Thanks for the nice feedback though :)

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.