Re: [radeonhd] RS690 nearly working
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:14:47 +0100
Coleman Kane writes:
I think that the modelines that are used are dumped into the log file.
In the case of the VESA driver, these are indexed modelines that are
stored in BIOS ROM tables on the video card (and *may* vary from card to
card). In any case, the VESA system passes an index of the desired
screen resolution to the VBE call to set up the screen (which is done by
VGA ROM code that was shipped on the VGA board). The radeonhd driver
instead either builds Modelines according to the EDID/DPMS information
according to an algorithm in the driver code (or X.org code?).

Is there a way to get "radeonhd" to use VBE to set up the video mode
rather than performing the register magic itself? This would seem to me
to pick out that there may be a difference between VESA and radeonhd
mode setup.

radeonhd isn't using VBE. VBE 2.x can use arbitrary modelines (more or less)
while earlier versions used internal (standard VESA) modelines.
There is no benefit in using VBE mode lines. The modelines we use are either
pulled directly from the device or (when the device is hardwired to the
system) from AtomBIOS.
There is some other reason (unrelated to the mode line) that the system in
question doesn't work with higher resolutions.