Re: [radeonhd] Separate mailing lists
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:27:01 +0100
Jean Delvare writes:

As a reference, when you need to dig something up again, it is much
easier to do so with a single mailinglist and a single point of
reference.

For any new user it is also much easier to just sign up to a single
mailinglist than to have to describe and manage several.

Obviously, not everyone shares your point of view. I find it more
appealing to have a low volume list with just the info I need, than
a "high" (all relative, granted) volume list with much stuff I am
not interested in. When I start receiving many posts I never read,
I end up unsubscribing from the list, as my time can be used better.

Jean,

since the traffic both on bugzilla and on commit is rather low compared
to the other traffic on this list we decided to stay with this one list
at the moment.
The benefit of having bugzilla post sent to this list is that currently
both this list and the freedesktop bugzilla are used to report bugs.
We assume that people subscribed here are interested in the progress on
the discussion of these bugs. Not having the mails sent here would exclude
them from part of the discussion and we may see the same problem discussed
twice - both here and on bugzilla.
This works the other way around: anyone only subscribed to the bugzilla
mailing list will only see part of the progress being made discussed here.

Plus, this is only for a single driver, the traffic will never be
excessive and never has been so far. I do not expect this to change in
any significant way. Even if we get slashdotted and the mailinglist gets
flooded, we will still return to normal after a week or so.

Having bugs and commit messages sent to the same list is a feature.
Everybody can easily track progress that way, no more git-pulling every
five minutes, just scroll through the ML and find out.

Moot point, as split mailing lists would solve the problem just as
fine.

Currently commit traffic is not really high. It's very much lower than the
support traffic and other discussions we are seeing here.

There are always arguments for splitting up MLs and at the same time there
are just as many against it.
One could introduce a 'users' list for just support questions to separate
development issues but either this list gets ignored by 'experts' or will
turn into a bug and development list just as well simply because the issues
that show up there will also be discussed on this list.