Re: [radeonhd] Separate mailing lists
  • From: Luc Verhaegen <libv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:37:51 +0100
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:35:59AM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
I'm stating to get a lot of stuff from this mailing list.

Would it be possible to separate it? radeonhd-{bugs,commits} or
something like that?

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras

As the unichrome driver developer, i have the following lists on
sourceforge: unichrome-devel, unichrome-bugs, unichrome-commits and
unichrome-users. They've been there since the spring of 2004.

All but one are completely useless and superfluous. And if i could have

-bugs/-commits hasn't seen any traffic since early 2005. -devel has only
seen commit messages since about the same time. The level of traffic
never warranted seperate lists at all.

As a reference, when you need to dig something up again, it is much
easier to do so with a single mailinglist and a single point of
reference.

For any new user it is also much easier to just sign up to a single
mailinglist than to have to describe and manage several.

Plus, this is only for a single driver, the traffic will never be
excessive and never has been so far. I do not expect this to change in
any significant way. Even if we get slashdotted and the mailinglist gets
flooded, we will still return to normal after a week or so.

Having bugs and commit messages sent to the same list is a feature.
Everybody can easily track progress that way, no more git-pulling every
five minutes, just scroll through the ML and find out.

Also, our commit messages are very sensible and very readable, unlike
the ones sent to, say, xorg-commit, which are huge and unparsable.
This is another conscious choice based upon unichrome driver experience.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.