Re: [opensuse] X (?) hangs after upgrade to 42.2
On 11 March 2017 at 23:36, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So this is probably NOT the plasmashell issue. Next, I will try UXA.
And after that I will try not using Chrome.

So I went onto UXA and found that Chrome, and apparently only Chrome,
was getting some annoying blinking of the window header and tabs.

I looked around in "Configure Desktop" and in Hardware > Display and
Monitor found Compositor. The Rendering backend was set to OpenGL 2.0.
I changed it to XRender and the blinking was fixed. Putting it here in
case someone googles.

As the hang was associated with Chrome, I now suspect that the hang,
too, was linked to this incompatibility between Chrome (likely
Chromium too) and OpenGL compositing. I will see if this current
configuration can produce the hang over a good few hours of use. If it
does not produce the hang, I will perhaps try bringing back SNA but
keeping XRender compositing.

UXA does not sem to affect 3D performance negatively. I do not see
tearing in videos. Perhaps I'll benchmark 3D in UXA vs SNA one day.

I have copied Jan Ritzerfeld as he seemed to have the same issue as I
had. Jan - could you try changing Compositor to XRender and see if the
issue goes away, too?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik