Re: [opensuse] Processes quitting
On Sunday 04 January 2015, Aaron Digulla wrote:

Ok, some rough outline of the remote help process: You
supply us with reliable information about your system,
program versions, possibly links to where you got
unusual tools (like the noip2 executable) and we rise
our voices when we spot something.

Remote help isn't telepathy. If you want us to help you,
you need to tell us everything you know and everything
which might be related. Which isn't easy - usually, when
someone reaches out for help, they are frustrated. Not
an idea state of mind to think about everything that
some unknown person on the other side of the globe might
need to know to help you.

With that out of the way, to keep a process alive, there
are several ways which are better than cron. If you have
a Linux system with the old init system
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init), you should look at
daemonize (http://linux.die.net/man/1/daemonize).

If you have a more modern startup system like systemd
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd), then they have
config files where you can say "start this when this
happend and restart it when it exist and make sure it
stays alive but only restart it 10 times if it
terminates after 10 seconds".

If you know old System V init scripts, this explains how
to convert the information for systemd:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-for-admins-3.htm

Regards,

Aaron:

Roger on the frustration. Also there is the noise coming
from the forum about workarounds when my original gripe was
that my server occasionally closes 3 running processes for
no known reason. I was wondering what might cause that. As I
said earlier, there are several "bandaids" I can apply to
the problem, most of which have been pointed out by various
parties here. Yours is probably the best so far. Thanks for
that.

My server? Opensuse 12.3. The noip2 executable came from
noip.com. The 30 minute phone home default is quite ok for
my installation. As I had also noted, logging provided no
clues to the why of the process terminations. So, I am left
with the obvious solution of putting a bandaid on the
problem and then to move on to something more important,
like taking the wife to dinner and a movie.

Thanks, all, for your input.

Fred