Re: [opensuse] cli find cmd syntax
On 30/12/14 18:54, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 12/30/2014 11:24 AM, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

:~> find $HOME/Maildir -type d | egrep -v
"/new"\|"/cur"\|"/tmp"\|"/courie* |sort > /home/hylton/maillistdir

All this gives me is a > prompt not my usual :~> and and no file to
view. Inly Ctrl-C reverts to te standard prompt.

All this is SO close yet we are all missing something!!

Aw Gee, why don't you RTFM

The Fine Manual needs to know what to show me. Thankfully man bash will now become a starting point.

What you've gor there are a series of piped commands:

1. Find $HOME/Maildir -type d

2. Egrep -v "/new"

3. "/cur"

4. "/tmp"

5. "/courie* |sort > /home/hylton/maillistdir

What the line should read is to omit the internal closing quotes and
backslashes and have a proper closing quote:

find $HOME/Maildir -type d | egrep -v "/new|/cur|/tmp|/courie*" |sort >
/home/hylton/maillistdir

If you're going to use backslashes to escape anything, the it should be
the forward slashes in a regular expression

egrep -v -E "\/new|\/cur|\/tmp|\/courie*"

If you'd read the man page on shell, the sections I'd referred to, you'd
see what I'm getting at here.

Hylton, you real problem here is that you are doing cut and paste from a
number of people who are using the shell in slightly different ways
without any learning on your part going on. If you stepped back and
tried learning, tried experimenting with parts rather than focusing on
just this one command sequence then (a) you'd be able to generate the
correct command sequence on your own and (b) you'd understand how to
write shell command sequences, pipes and filters in the future and save
all this hassle.

I fully respect that you believe I am not learning, but the contrary is true. Saying RTFM is easy but knowing what to RTFM is way more important.

i'm known for the line

Context is Everything

No offence but I believe Syntax is everything :)

and its pretty much a maxim here because everyone has their system
configured in their own way. Linux is not as restrictive as Windows.
We can't solve your problems in detail, we can advise but you have to
experiment and learn and interpret in your own context. There has to be
effort on your part and just doing this cut-and-paste is not helping you
learn.

All the problems you are encountering could have been avoided of you
read the manuals and examples on the web and experimented with parts.
Linux, Unix, is not Windows, it is not about dumb pressing buttons and
checking boxes on a GUI, it takes initiative and paying attention to
what's in the manuals.

Your last two paragraphs are a little harsh but I understand that Linux is not Windows since I have been using KDE for close on 4 years. The cli is new territory to me so just like KDE was a new GUI 4 years ago my learning curve just restarted in the vertical plane.

I appreciate all the help and pointers but not understanding the internal workings like I wish to, it is a little difficult to make headway without pleading totally stupidity.

Regards
Hylton