Re: [opensuse] Re: cli find cmd syntax
Luuk,

On 30/12/14 13:12, Luuk wrote:
On 30-12-2014 10:10, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
Hi,

On 29/12/14 19:03, Yamaban wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:42, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am endeavouring to print a list of my Maildir folders to a file so
that I can use that same list when I construct a Procmailrc file.

<snip>

The purpose of a '\' in a command line is to break it up in more than
one line, please the same in your posts here.... ;)

Sorry, I do not fully understand the use of \. Quoting from 'man bash':

Does this mean that each time I get to the end of the line on my cli command, I need to insert \ before the cursor moves to the next line, even if it is in the middle of a command or is it put into a cli command between commands?

My command: ~> :~> find $HOME/Maildir -type d | egrep -v "/new"\|"/cur"\|"/tmp"\|"/courie*" |sort > /home/hylton/maillistdir as copied and pasted from my Terminal screen.

When this was executed there were no errors yet it did stretch over a single line and had no \'s unless the \ between the double quotes and | count, but unlikely given the definition from man bash.

I have looked at the BASH beginners guide that states "The backslash in a terminal view or command synopsis indicates an unfinished line.
In other words, if you see a long command that is cut into multiple lines, \ means "Don't press Enter yet!" "

So I understand it means the command is not finished yet, but when I executed my command above, without \, it executed without error.

Where can I find more info and examples of the usage of \, or is it possibly a configuration setting you have that I don't or vice versa?

Interested

Hylton