Re: [opensuse] dsl network connection type setup in yast
James Knott írta:
On 12/31/2014 07:12 AM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

The question applies to openSUSE 13.1, 13.2, possibly older versions too.
What is the correct method to set up DSL network in YAST?
What I would like to know exactly, what to choose in YAST Control Center ->
Network Devices -> Network Settings -> Overview -> Edit -> Network Card
Setup -> Address tab.

There are three options there:

- No Link and IP Setup (Bonding Slaves)
- Dynamic Address
x) DHCP
x) DHCP + Zeroconf
x) Zeroconf
- Statically assigned IP Address

If I know correctly DSL does not use DHCP, but I don't have and assigned
static IP address either. The provider assigns an IP address at every
connection but not by DHCP (?) . If I set it to DHCP (in oS 12.2), network
connection works but I have in /var/log/messages many:

eth0: broadcasting for a lease
eth0: timed out

So, what is the correct setting?

You want DHCP. Zeroconf gives you an address in the 169.254/16 range,
which is used for connecting computers on a peer to peer basis. Also,
don't forget to choose the right MTU. It should be 1492 for PPPoE.

DHCP -> Zeroconf seems OK, the messages are gone.
Thanks!

Istvan