Re: [opensuse] raid1, ignore one HD when reading
On Wednesday 05 June 2013, Dave Howorth wrote:
Ruediger Meier wrote:
I'd benchmarked it and it's not faster for me. The advantage is
that in case of inconsistencies you will get always the same data
from one particular mirror.

I'd say that's a fairly unusual and worrying case.

Generally using both could be even slower if you have one fast and
one slow HD.

Whilst true, I'd say that was also unusual and something to be
avoided.

BTW it's a valid use case to safely place one of the mirrors far away
connected via network or SAN. That's why you can set write-mostly and
write-behind, see man md:

"This allows for a RAID1 with WRITE-BEHIND to be used to mirror data
over a slow link to a remote computer (providing the link isn't too
slow). The extra latency of the remote link will not slow down normal
operations, but the remote system will still have a reasonably
up-to-date copy of all data."

cu,
Rudi