Re: [opensuse] Has anyone ever used the autossh daemon?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:32:49 -0400
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would personally be tempted to start with something like this:

while true
do
mail-to-myself "ssh had to be restarted"
ssh <whatever options you need>
sleep 60
done

If ssh or the network then turns out to be truly unreliable, it sounds
like a job for systemd (to monitor it).

I went thru that dance a few years ago. ssh tunnels are truly not
stable in the timeframe of weeks / months. autossh is a great tool
for keeping the tunnels alive.

The last time I did this I put an entry in crontab to kickoff autossh
on boot. It worked well enough, but when I noticed autossh had it's
own init script, I decided to go for it.

I imagine it will be one of the last things moved to systemd just
because there are few if any users (besides my attempt here).

Greg