[opensuse] Re: starting the virtualbox virtual machines automatically
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:58:23 +0100
Le 27/12/2011 13:19, Anton Aylward a écrit :

You were talking about the problems with RESTORE.
So was I.
On the new system, have a partition that the old "etc/" is restored into
rather than overwriting the /etc on the newly installed system.

oh, yes, of course, I always do. I always have a spare partition on my system for such purpose.

I had problem in the past with hosted server that I could only admin through the provider manager - I never could restore it (never booted again), but this proveider have special hardware and fitted kernel. It's very handy because it takes care of kernel updates, but this make backup/restore of the system tricky and he only keep available the very last distro (I couldn't restore 11.3 because the last one was 11.4).

but the one I sepak of now is available at hand in front of me, so much easier to manage :-)

You could have upgraded to 11.4. That would have been smoother, less
traumatic. The 11.4 works well and runs the latest kde :-)

I don't need kde at all, so yes, this is a solution. and once it's done, upgrade to 12.1 works easily

thanks
jdd