Re: [opensuse] Searching for 10.2 repos
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:55:39 +0100

On 2010-12-23 12:38, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 11:34 +0100, DenverD wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

yet i have no dup switch either in man zypper or zypper --help

If it was available, it was via an upgraded zypper from an experimental
repo. I seem to recall that.

(DenverD, remember to post to the list - one of those gotchas)

by the way, of course you _will_ have a perfect backup before
beginning...because it is my understanding that either dup or
selecting upgrade (in the GUI) from 10.3 to 11.2 (even if stepping
though 11.0 and .1) is not a smooth, trouble free path).

Starting with 11.0, it might work. But jumping versions, although people
report that it works, is completely unsupported :-(

I have a faint memory that it was 10.2 where the big architectural
changes happened that were required for doing a zypper dup. I recall
that there was something about the compression used by rpm that had to
be updated first.

Correct (AFAIK)

Then zypper. Then the system. Maybe the zypper/rpm
could come from 11.0. I wasn't paying too close attention at the time,
as I did not think I would do that. No one told me there was going to be
a quiz.

I was paying attention, I helped testing it (in factory), but I forgot the
details. You would have to search for the key "zypper dup" in this mail
list and factory to read the reports.

It is safer for you to use the DVD upgrade method, IMO.

Maybe I will see how far I get with an autoyast.xml generated for the
10.3 system and used to install 11.2. I seem to be feeling adventurous
today. I have the Christmas break to recover if I break something. The
system is not critical. It is like systems our customers have and we are
thinking of the best/easiest way they can move to 11.2.

Even if you are adventurous, do a full backup, then try the upgrade. If it
fails, you can go back and try again, or install fresh instead, having a
backup to recover all your files and configurations.

It is useful to also install fresh the target distro in another partition,
a small test setup, for two reasons: learning if it works, and having fresh
config files you can use for comparison if something breaks in the upgrade.
Plus, it can be used as a rescue system.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)