Re: [opensuse] Graduated from "Absent trash icon" to disaster
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:29:45 -0500
On 12/22/2010 03:39 PM, Stan Goodman pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Thursday 16 December 2010 00:05:13 phanisvara das wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 03:23:07 +0530, Stan Goodman

I have to apologize for disappearing during the week that has passed since
your note. It was unavoidable, for medical reasons, so that I did not have
the time to concentrate on tis problem. I am back now, and hope we can
continue.

Welcome back, hope all is well.

<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Believe it or not, I find that sequence confusing, and I want not to
introduce more confusion to what already exists. Would you mind
please to lay that out in detailed form?

then we'll have to start with what you have now. i didn't see you
posting the output of "zypper lr -d" earlier in this thread. (forgive
me if i'm wrong and you did...). that would clear any misunderstanding
in this regard.

and i'd like to know what you did after enabling the KDE repo, which
zypper command(s) that was.

That is unclear. I think I've described everything that I did. If you want
me to repeat, I will do so, but I don't think there is anything else to
add in that respect.

Since zypper is a command line program what did you type at the command
line when you ran zypper? Was it zypper up or zypper dup?

from what you describe it seems obvious that you got different KDE
versions, at least in part, on your system, and that doesn't work. this
can usually be rectified by "zypper dup" with and from the correct
repositories.

--
phani

Your suggestion in your note of 16 December was as copied below, with my
further questions:
*****
IMO, what you should do now is do "zypper dup" with only the standard
repos enabled (oss, non-oss), then add the packman (and any other repos
you need) and upgrade their packages. then add the real KDE 4.5.4 repo
to yast:

Would you please make the "zypper dup" instruction more explicit by
including its argument?

There is no further argument, dup is the argument to zypper!

The remainder of your paragraph above isn't clear to me, because I don't
understand what more is to be done after the "zypper dup" (nor do I know
what to expect as the result of the "zypper dup"). Is this about d/l KDE
packages for KDE4.5? Does that have to done individually for each KDE
package? But if it is about KDE packages, why the reference to packman?

If you have the proper repos added with the proper priorities zypper dup
is all that is needed to upgrade KDE to 4.5.

Again, what is the result of zypper lr -d? If you don't supply the info
requested how can you expect us to help you?

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3
/

[assuming you're on openSUSE 11.3; too lazy to look up the whole thread
now.]

I am on 11.3.

then run "zypper dup" or switch all packages to the KDE 4.5 repo via
yast. (i find the latter safer, since it's easier to see and edit
potential problems than with zypper output.)

I am flummoxed by this paragraph, because the earlier paragraphs above
have had mr run "zypper dup......", then do the download, and here again
we are talking about "zypper dup" and switching packages.

It means to use either YaST--> software manager--> RPM groups click on
zzz All (on the left at the bottom of the list), then at the top click
on Package, All in This List, Update if newer version available *_or_*
at the command line use zypper dup to upgrade KDE to 4.5. You need to
use zypper dup because a change in vendor (repo) is required. zypper up
will not change to another vendor.

*****

There is yet another part of this problem that hasn't been mentioned yet.
As I described in my original query, the system at present is altogether
unusable, so I would not be able to perform any of the suggested actions
using the GUI. I assume (hope) that run level 3 would enable me to work; I
know how to move from run level 5 to 3 in a normally operating system, but
I do not know, and haven't been able to find, how to boot directly to
text based interface when the system is still configured for level 5.

When at the boot prompt type a 3and hit enter. That will boot to
runlevel 3 (text mode).

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998