Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:28:26 +0100
On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 10:15 +0100, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 13-12-10 14:38, Roger Oberholtzer schreef:
I have a dhcp server running on openSUSE. In addition to setting up IP
addresses, it instructs the systems where to find the tftp server that
will serve up the boot image, as well as the boot image name. It is
working great.

Unfortunately, this now needs to co-exist on a network where there is a
Windows dhcp server. The problem is that the windows server is faster at
responding to the dhcpdiscover request than is the openSUSE server. Not
much to do about that - race conditions are a fact of life. So, we
thought we would solve this by duplicating the IP address and
next-server/filename stuff on the Windows server. The result should be
that the system still goes to the openSUSE box to get boot files.

Unfortunately, this seems not to work as expected. We get the IP
address. But is is unclear which option in the Windows server
corresponds to Linux's next-server. We set one called 'boot host' that
is described as pointing to the tftp server. But oddly we get nothing.

I guess I am sending out feelers to see if anyone else has an openSUSE
diskless boot sequence (boot images on an openSUSE tftp server) that
involves a Windows dhcp server.

Roger,

Do you have your answer ?
I'm looking at opsi, where you can install OS'es via tftp. They mention
'bootserver' or 'startserver' and 'bootfile' or 'startfile' as the
Windows DHCP-configurations.

We are slowly working through it. I can now get the IP address, next
server and boot image name from the Windows server. Then the systems
happily boot from the Linux host. The problem is that they only seem to
know how to set the windows server up so (A) all machines on our vlan
are treated the same (B) only machines with a specified MAC address are
configured. What we really need is to have a VLAN default that is
overridden for specific MAC addresses. If you are not one of those MAC
addresses, you get the defaults. I do not know why this is a problem. We
have our Linux dhcp server doing this with no problem.

So progress: yes. Solution: No.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST