Re: [opensuse] Graduated from "Absent trash icon" to disaster
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:53:07 +0200
On Wednesday 15 December 2010 22:10:09 phanisvara das wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:29:43 +0530, Stan Goodman

<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No. the new repo is install ed with:
<sudo zypper addreopo -f
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE/Distro/Factory/openSUSE
_11.3 kde45>. What is optional is installation of another repo, which
is called "Extra", the purpose of which is not explained.

what i suspected: you tried to upgrade to KDE 4.5.85, also known as KDE
4.6 beta2. when that article was posted, that was where KDE 4.5 lived;
now it doesn't anymore.

and this still could have worked out ok, but you did "zypper dup" with
all your repos enabled. in that case, zypper doesn't really know what
you want to upgrade to which version, and i have no idea what the
solver process came up with.

How have I done zypper dup, given that there is no dup in the command?

IMO, what you should do now is do "zypper dup" with only the standard
repos enabled (oss, non-oss), then add the packman (and any other repos
you need) and upgrade their packages. then add the real KDE 4.5.4 repo
to yast:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.
3/

Believe it or not, I find that sequence confusing, and I want not to
introduce more confusion to what already exists. Would you mind please to
lay that out in detailed form?

[assuming you're on openSUSE 11.3; too lazy to look up the whole thread
now.]

I am now on 11.3.

then run "zypper dup" or switch all packages to the KDE 4.5 repo via
yast. (i find the latter safer, since it's easier to see and edit
potential problems than with zypper output.)

This is part of the sequence, and thus part of the confusion.

zypper dup -r <the no. or uri of your KDE 4.5 repo>